Thursday, July 02, 2009

SWORN TO SILENCE by Linda Castillo (Minotaur)


When I read an advance copy of Sworn to Silence, I knew it was one of those books. In the first place, I literally couldn't put it down. It's a little hard to read while loading the dishwasher, but where there's a will…

Today's edition of "The Labyrinth," Minotaur's monthly newsletter, has a letter from the author introducing her debut novel. Linda Castillo describes the chilling story far better than I could.

How far would you go to keep a secret? What if keeping that secret threatened your safety? What if it threatened the lives of the townspeople you've sworn to protect and serve? These are some of the questions Chief of Police Kate Burkholder must ask herself in my debut thriller, SWORN TO SILENCE.

The book is the first in a series set in bucolic Painters Mill, which is in the heart of Ohio's Amish Country. I've always loved stories that juxtapose good and evil, and I couldn't have asked for a more fitting locale. The tranquil beauty of Painters Mill and the gentle hearts of the Amish stand in stark contrast to the evil stalking the town.

Kate is a far cry from your typical cop. Born Amish, she chose the "English" way of life over her Amish roots after a life altering event during her teens. She's a troubled, complicated and imperfect woman-with a harrowing secret that pits her on a very personal level against a depraved adversary she may have faced once before. Throw in a rogue state agent and a town council full of politicos, and Kate has her hands full.

If you like edgy thrillers chock full of ambiguous characters, SWORN TO SILENCE will fit the bill.


Take a tip from me: Don't start this before bedtime!!!

1 comment:

Desperate Writer said...

I've read it, and absolutely LOVE it! I'll be in line for the next one...