Wednesday, December 17, 2008

NEVER TELL A LIE by Hallie Ephron (William Morrow)

Ivy Rose is in definite "nesting" mode. Eight months pregnant, she's having a yard sale to clear out the junk that came alone with her Victorian house. One of the customers is a former high school classmate of Ivy's and her husband David. Melinda White, also pregnant, manipulates David into letting her look inside the house—where she used to play as a child. Although David returns to the yard sale, Melinda doesn't come out of the house. When a full-blown police investigation centers on David, Ivy realizes that she doesn't know him as well as she thought. 

Just as I thought I saw where this truly creepy thriller was headed, Ephron snatched the rails of the roller coaster and twisted them into a whole new ride. Fortunately, I started this book early in an afternoon and was able to finish it before burning the midnight oil. I suggest you do the same. Don't miss Ephron's debut solo novel. It's on sale January 6, 2009.

1 comment:

Hallie Ephron said...

Hello, Molly --

I saw your post and had to drop by and say THANKS, so glad you liked the book, and double-thanks for writing about it.

I'm a book reviewer, too - interesting reading your recent reviews how few of them I've read...there are just so many out there. I'm a big David Hewson fan, too.

I've just finished picking my 'read and liked best' list for '08 -- here are the four (tried to whittle it to three but couldn't:
"Sweeping Up Glass" by Carolyn D. Wall (came out in a short print run from Poisoned Pen Press and is being reissued by one of the big publishers)
"Cezanne's Quarry" by Barbara Corrado Pope (Pegasus)
"Island of Lost Girls" by Jennifer McMahon (trade paperback from Harper)
"Ghost at Work" by Carolyn Hart (Wm. Morrow)

All by women, I'm just noticing!

Hope you keep reviewing!
- Hallie
www.hallieephron.com